Black pepper crab, made with hard-shell crabs cut into halves or quarters and fried with coarsely ground black pepper, bird’s eye chillies and other seasonings, is a popular alternative to crabs cooked in a wetter chilli sauce. It has a comparatively dry consistency.
To the seafood lovers, make sure to watch this Chili Crab Recipe until the end. Because, in this episode, Datin Adek’s guest is Dr Lee Soo Kim who is the author of 13 books including a trilogy of short stories on Babas and Nyonyas. Her best sellers are the award winning Kebaya Tales, Manglish and Malaysian Flavours.
The recipe is in “Malaysia’s Culinary Heritage” by Kalsom Taib and Hamidah Abdul Hamid (Datin Adek)
Get the copy of ‘Malaysia’s Culinary Heritage’ book at https://shop.icookasia.com/
Serves for 6
1 kg mud crabs or flower crabs 3 tbsp cooking oil
(Grind to a fine paste)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
4 cm ginger, peeled and chopped
7 red chillies, chopped
(Mix together in a bowl)
1 tbsp taucheo paste
300 ml water
2½ tbsp sugar
5–6 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp water
2 eggs, beaten
2 stalks coriander, leaves finely chopped
1. Scrub the crabs and rinse well.
2. Remove the main shell (carapace), cut off the claws and cut each body into 2 or 4 depending on the size of the crabs. Lightly crack the claws for ease of handling later.
3. Heat the oil in a wok and sauté the paste until flavourful before adding the taucheo mixture.
4. When the gravy is well combined, stir in the crabs. Cover the wok and cook the crabs until they change colour. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until cooked.
5. Mix the corn flour and water and pour over the crabs to thicken the gravy. Toss well to combine.
6. Lastly, pour over the beaten eggs and stir into the crabs.
7. Place on a serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
This recipe is brought to you by Sime Darby Oils and Kalsom Taib Publishing.
For more information about Sime Darby Oils, visit: https://www.simedarbyoils.com/ or at:
Facebook Minyak Masak ALIF: https://www.facebook.com/officialMinyakMasakALIF/